SAMHSA has issued a report on “Moving Beyond Change Efforts: Evidence and Action to Support and Affirm LGBTQI+ Youth.” This report provides behavioral health professionals, researchers, policymakers and other audiences with a comprehensive research overview and accurate information about effective and ineffective therapeutic practices related to youth of diverse sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Provides an updated evidence-based roadmap for supporting and affirming LGBTQI+ youth.
- Comprehensively reviews the key scientific studies, guidelines from major medical and other professional associations, and implications for clinical care.
- Offers guidance and highlights resources for health care providers, educators, families, community leaders, and others — to reduce behavioral health inequities facing LGBTQI+ youth and their families.
- Explores policy levers and future research areas that can improve the behavioral health of LGBTQI+ youth.
- Significant research over the past several years lays to rest any questions about sexual orientation and gender identity (SOGI, pronounced “SO-gee”) change efforts — commonly known as “conversion therapy.” It is harmful, ineffective, inappropriate, and should never be provided to youth.